DEADLINE FOR NAC EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR POSITION EXTENDEDfmorrownevadaculture
Unclassified Job Announcement Executive Director, Nevada Arts Council.
This is an open competitive recruitment, open to all qualified applicants and has been extended to June 19, 2017.
The Nevada Arts Council, an agency within the Department of Tourism and Cultural Affairs, is charged with enriching the cultural life of the state through leadership that preserves, supports, strengthens, and makes excellence in the arts accessible to all Nevadans. Through vibrant educational programming, professional and organizational grants and high touch connectivity with stakeholders, the Nevada Arts Council strives to achieve a Nevada in which the arts enrich the lives of all residents and enhance the livability of communities. The Nevada Arts Council is seeking a visionary and innovative leader who can propel the Arts Council forward with great focus, strategic insight and passion.
The Nevada Arts Council has offices in Carson City and Las Vegas. This position will be located in Carson City.
Up to $100,858 maximum annual salary plus benefits * (Salary range reflects retirement (PERS) contributions by both the employee and employer. An employer paid contribution plan is also available with a reduced gross salary.)
The State benefits package includes a retirement system, paid health, vision, dental, life and disability insurance; 11 paid holidays, and paid sick and annual leave. Other employee paid benefits such as deferred compensation plans are available.
The Arts in Nevada
Nevada has a long history of being home to extraordinary art, artists and creative thought. Northern Nevada is home to many of the state’s longest operating cultural organizations and some of the nation’s most remarkable communities of rural artists. The Reno area is host to a month long arts and culture celebration “ARTOWN”. Carson City is expanding its arts and culture outreach by redesigning downtown to be more foot traffic friendly. Southern Nevada is powered by the energy and excitement that is Las Vegas, a burgeoning arts community and extraordinary cultural assets found throughout the surrounding area. Eastern Nevada is home to the nation’s leading Cowboy Poetry Gathering and is dotted with historic and meaningful arts communities. The new Executive Director engages with these communities to create opportunities for individual and organizational advancement.
The Arts Council sees an innovative and strategic leader to serve as its Executive Director. That leader must have the ability to assess current programming, optimize business development opportunities for artists, arts organizations and the public and manage a staff and budget housed within state government. The Executive Director must have the ability to serve as an articulate and respected voice for the advancement of the arts in Nevada. The core qualities and experience sought in an Executive Director include:
- An ability to listen and respond to the needs articulated by the artists, volunteers, administrators and underwriters of Nevada’s arts community and develop programs that meet the needs of myriad stakeholders;
- An understanding of the best practices, issues and challenges facing the arts today;
- Demonstrated ability to be a creative and strategic planner and implementer of programs designed to enhance the lives of artists living and working in Nevada and statewide arts organizations;
- An ability to work effectively within state government environment including all agencies within the Department of Tourism and Cultural Affairs as well as other state entities, state legislators and the Governor’s office;
- Demonstrated experience working with a board;
- An understanding of arts in the Western U.S. and the unique environment for artists and arts organizations operating in this region;
- A true team player, someone who can coalesce the statewide arts community;
- The professional capacity to represent Nevada in regional and national forums; and
- Demonstrated success identifying and securing public/private partnerships and non-traditional funding.
The Formal Structure
As an agency within the Department of Tourism and Cultural Affairs, the Nevada Arts Council and its Executive Director, works with the Department Director on strategic planning and day-to-day operations. The mission of the department is to create sustainable financial vitality for the State of Nevada and the businesses and individuals engaged in the tourism and cultural industries. As its vision, the Department strives to be a recognized world-class tourism and cultural affairs organization that embraces strategic thinking, innovation and creative problem solving. Working closely with the Nevada Arts Council’s nine member board, the Executive Director and team develop and implement programs and policies that benefit the state’s arts community. The Executive Director is responsible for managing a budget of approximately $2.5 million and overseeing a staff of 15.
The Nevada Arts Council currently manages a wide array of programs. For more information about the agency and its programs, please visit http://nvculture.org/nevadaartscouncil/.
To be considered, potential candidates must have the following core qualifications:
- A degree in the arts, a field related to the arts or public administration
- A demonstrated commitment to the arts
- A minimum of five years in a highly responsible leadership position\
- Experience preparing and allocating a complex budget integrating federal, local and private funding
- Experience developing a high-performance team environment that fosters creative ideas, encourages collaboration and enhances statewide partnerships
- Demonstrated experience crafting strategic plans and implementing programs that achieve organizational goals
Additional preferred qualifications:
- Experience working within a state or local government environment and directly with elected officials
- Experience working with a board
- Experience with arts organizations or other entities located in the Western U.S.
To download a copy of this posting, go to http://hr.nv.gov/Sections/Recruitment/Unclassified-Non-Classified_Positions.
RESUMES WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL JUNE 2, 2017 (All resumes will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. Hiring may occur at any time during the recruitment process.)
SUBMIT LETTERS OF INTEREST/ RESUMES/DIRECT INQUIRIES TO:
Email: email@example.com or hardcopies can be mailed to:
Dept. of Administration, Agency HR Services
Attn: Rachael Harris, 400 W. King Street, Ste. 406, Carson City, NV 89703
PLEASE REFERENCE THE FOLLOWING IN THE SUBJECT LINE:
Last Name/NAC Executive Director/How you heard about this position
The State of Nevada is an Equal Opportunity Employer